Inside a Writer's Conference

It's been several weeks since I returned from the Romance Writer's of America Conference. I'm still tingling with excitement. I spent time honing craft in workshops with amazing writers like Julia Quinn. I had my picture taken with romance writing legend Nora Roberts. More amazing, I met one of my favorite authors, Darynda Jones, who is as amazing in person as she hilarious in her books. (If you haven't read her Charley Davidson series you must do so!)

The agent and editor opportunities were also great. I met a dream agent while waiting for friends in the hotel bar. She asked for 30 pages of my work in progress. All in all, I left nationals with seven requests, all of them from carefully researched, and on my target, list agents or editors. I've been missing in action blog-wise lately, focusing on sending off the right items to the right requesters.

Hands down, though, it was the time I spent with my amazing writer friends that meant the most. Hysterical laughter, twisting plot premise discussions and simple encouragement ensued right from the first minute of the conference.

The weekend of Sept. 28 I get another chance to live large in the conference world with the Central Ohio Fiction Writer's Conference. We've got an all star line-up of agents, editors and authors. Hilarity will ensue. And, since our keynote speaker is the world famous YA author Simone Elkeles, we're hosting a free teen event at 6 p.m. All the fun happens at the Holiday Inn in Worthington. Check out cofw.org for more information on the conference (which you can still sign up to attend!) or the teen event (which will include a free copy of Simone's Perfect Chemistry for the first 50 attendees). 




Comments