Book Review: Hench is worth every moment

This review has been a long time coming. When I finished reading Hench I had to immediately reread it. Rarely have a read a book that hits me at so many levels at once that is also snarky, funny, uplifting, depressing and the kind of raw authentic that bites at your soul months after you put it down.

The next thing I did was to make it my personal mission to get as many people to read this book as possible. And not just because it needs to sell well enough for me to get the sequel I so richly deserve. Because this is a book that so many people I know need. Why?

Hench is a book about an average woman in a world where super heroes and super villains run amok. She is just trying to survive, pay her bills, maybe go on an occasional date. She does data entry for villains as temp work, something called henching. One day she gets injured on the job. She's a bystander when a hero's attempt to save the day goes ballistic.

And that's when she starts to run the numbers. Her love of data and statistics become her own personal super power as she quantifies just how much heroes are costing the world. At that point she evolves into something efficient, scary and majestic all at the same time. 

The plot is a amazing, but it's the voice that makes this book magic. Our heroine is snarky and sarcrastic. She's the most likeable unlikeable character I've met in a long time.

This is the kind of book that makes me not want to write any more because how could I possibly ever produce something in this league? It's the kind of book that makes me want to write all the time because how could I not be inspired? It's the kind of book you need in your life. 

How are you still reading this when you should be reading Hench right now? 

Comments