Review: Mooncakes Graphic Novel Coming Oct. 2019

It's been a while since I've read a graphic novel and I wasn't sure what to expect. Mooncakes by Suzanne Walker and Wendy Xi does not disappoint. It's a story of reunited friends battling supernatural forces, while balancing family drama, cultural expectations and falling in love.

Nova is a young witch who lives with her grandmothers and helps run the family bookstore. Tam comes back to town unexpectedly and a whole lot of trouble follows them. Only by teaming up together can Nova and Tam defeat dark forces, and find their own unique places in the world.

What I loved about this novel:

  • The characters are rich and diverse-- ethnically, in abilities, religiously, from a gender and sexual preference perspective and even in magical ways. For example, Tam is nonbinary, Nova has a hearing aid, both are Chinese Americans. But the story isn't about these aspects of who they are. The story is about their situation and how they tap into who they uniquely are to solve their problems and find love. 
  • The supernatural storyline was anything but predictable and it had a few very unexpected twists and turns I don't want to spoil. 
  • The art work engaged me in every scene. I loved the way the illustrations brought the story to life, especially during action scenes. 

Sometimes the action moved a little too fast and I had to back-up to reground myself in what was happening, but overall I really enjoyed this book. I read the entire thing in one sitting and could not put it down. I highly recommend reading this one when it's released!




Disclosure: I received this novel through Net Galley as a reviewer at no cost to me. My beliefs in this review were not influenced by how I received the novel.

Comments