Why I read

When I watch TV, I am observing a world, but when I read I am in the world. It's me casting spells and hunting horcruxes. My adventures in the spy world are many. The mysteries I've solved raise the hairs on the back of your neck. I've dated a vampire, fought for my life in a field of teens and conquered the old west. I've been any manner of magical being, all kinds of criminals and every level of royalty. 

I have seen the universe in the crisp white pages of a book-- from Europe, to the Moon, to the inside of a small boy's body. My travels span thousands and thousands of years, millions of pages, decades in the future and eons into the past. I've befriend lions, lived in rugged mountains, danced at weddings after the apocalypse. 

Every page is a new opportunity for me to see a different point of view, to appreciate that we are each the hero or heroine of our own story. 

Comments