Book Review: Becoming Jinn

It's been a while since I've posted a book review, but I'm excited to share this one. I picked up Becoming Jinn by Lori Goldstein when I visited her website during Brenda Drake's #pitchwar contest this year. While I waited to learn whether I would win a mentor in the contest (I didn't, but you can read about that in my last post), I kept thinking about the premise of Lori's book, which stood out among all the mentor blogs I'd read. I downloaded it just before heading out on an airplane trip and I kept reading it nonstop until I finished.

There's a lot to love about this book. Here are five reasons I loved it:
  1. Azra, the main character, is from a family of Jinn, which is something like a genie but without the bottles. Her ability to do magic, her place in the human world and the demands to fulfill wishes to chosen people or face the consequences are at turns fun and scary. 
  2. The reasons Azra fights her magic, her friends and her place in the world are connected to a loss that is easy to relate to and the more you learn about what happened the more you can't help but cheer Azra on just a little bit more.
  3. The sisterhood friendship piece is complicated, multi-faceted and focused on more than just gabbing about boys. These girls have history, baggage, hopes, dreams and connections that weave the fabric of this story. 
  4. Between the boy next door and the hot lifeguard she works with, the romance angle is present and sizzling, just the way I like it!
  5.  The intrigue sneaks up on you through the story, a little bit of mystery, a few questions left unanswered, by the time you piece it all together at the end your jaw drops a little and you definitely want to read more!

I can't wait for her next book to come out!

Comments